Jun 5, 2012
Learn and Raise Awareness
World Environment Day in Xel-Há
“Take care of the Earth and she will look after you.” – Author Unknown
Since 1973, June 5, the world opens its consciousness to mark the celebration of World Environment Day and look back at the damage we have done and what we do to start taking care of the Earth.
In celebration of this date, Experiencias Xcaret is proud to present the results of the socially responsible actions from January to December 2011. We are a 100% Mexican company dedicated to sustainable tourism, with over 25 years in the market.
Our goal is to raise awareness about the environment and communities that have given us the beautiful scenery to offer our visitors magical moments.
The Environment in Numbers
- 152.506 samples of free of biodegradable sunblock exchanged with visitors
- 354.238 pesos invested in biodegradable sunblock program
- 88,000 plants reforested
- 104,000 plants produced in nurseries
- 0.7 tons of CO2 per visitor per year. The world average for similar companies is 1 ton
- 557.000 liters of water treated per day
- 71% of our waste is recovered – the world average is 50% – of which we accumulate a year:
- 36 tons of glass
- 79 tons of paper and carboard
- 44 tons of plastic
- 17 tons of metal
With our philanthropic arm, the civil association, Flora Fauna y Cultura de Mexico AC, we have conservation programs, environmental education and awareness:
- 858.000 sea turtles released only in 2011
- 5,539,355 turtles released from 1996 to 2011
- 1,250 participants sensitized to environmental education with the “Hall of Nature”
- 56.76 hectares reforested and rehabilitated
- More than 100,000 trees grown for reforestation state campaigns in 2011
- 61 public schools reforested, 1.747 and 570 trees planted ornamental plants, 44.950 m2 of coverage, 13.073 students participating from 2009 to 2011
In addition, Xel-Há manages several programs of social responsibility and environmental protection and conservation program of queen conch, recycling waste and water programs.
The Natural Wonder in Numbers | What Best Defines us
- 14.258 organisms of different species on average in the population of the creek
- 10 years implementing the Queen Conch conservation program in conjunction with CINVESTAV
- 9.690 Marked queen conch from 2001 to 2011
- 1st place in the nationally recognized for its waste recycling program, recognition granted by SEMARNAT and COPARMEX in 2008
- 80% recovery of solid waste. The world average is 50%.
- 0.7 tons of CO2 generated per visitor per year.
Did you know that Xel-Há is the first park in the world to be certified by EarthCheck Sustainable Tourism?
This has been achieved thanks to the awareness and responsibility placed in each of our visitors. So do not forget when you visit, bring your biodegradable sunscreen (or trade it at the park), say no to straws, throw garbage in containers, and take care of wildlife around you.
To learn more about our social responsibility activities, download the complete report.